Sunday, November 1, 2009

An important notice for our health...

I got this as an E-mail .... days and days ago... back when the Grinch had taken over my blog. I thought it was sooooo important that I about went crazy when I couldn't send it out her for you. I hope that you will send it on to everybuddy who loves us. The two leggers need to make sure that we are kept safe at all times. It's a big job, butt somebuddy has to do it.

If you have a dog .... PLEASE readThis and send it on. If you don'tHave a dog, please pass alongTo friends who do.
Written by:Laurinda Morris, DVMDanville Veterinary Clinic Danville , OH
This week I had the first case in history ofRaisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. MyPatient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old maleNeutered lab mix that ate half a canister of Raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30PM on Tuesday.. He started with vomiting,Diarrhea and shaking about 1AM onWednesday but the owner didn't call myEmergency service until 7AM.
I had heard somewhere about raisins AND Grapes causing acute Renal failure butHadn't seen any formal paper on the subject.We had her bring the dog in immediately.In the meantime, I called the ER service atMedVet, and the doctor there was like me-Had heard something about it, but Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA NationalAnimal Poison Control Center and they saidTo give IV fluids at 1 & 1/2 times maintenanceAnd watch the kidney values for the next48-72 hours.
The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level)Was already at 32 (normal less than 27) andCreatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end ofNormal). Both are monitors of kidneyFunction in the bloodstream. We placed anIV catheter and started the fluids.Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and theBUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 withNo urine production after a liter of fluids. AtThat point I felt the dog was in acute renalFailure and sent him on to MedVet for aUrinary catheter to monitor urine outputOvernight as well as overnight care.
He started vomiting again overnight atMedVet and his renal values hadContinued to increase daily. He producedUrine when given lasix as a diuretic. He wasOn 3 different anti-vomiting medications andThey still couldn't control his vomiting. TodayHis urine output decreased again, his BUNWas over 120, his creatinine was at 10, hisPhosphorus was very elevated and his bloodPressure, which had been staying around150, skyrocketed to 220 ..... He continued toVomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.
This is a very sad case - great dog, greatOwners who had no idea raisins could be aToxin. Please alert everyone you know whoHas a dog of this very serious risk.
Poison control said as few as 7 raisins orGrapes could be toxic. Many people I knowGive their dogs grapes or raisins as treatsIncluding our ex-handler's.. Any exposureShould give rise to immediate concern.
Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamiaNuts can be fatal, too.
Even if you don't have a dog, you mightHave friends who do. This is worth passingOn to them.
Confirmation from Snopes about the above ...
http://www...snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp
I know this is a lot of information, butt .... mom says,
"better safe than SORRY !" I have also even heard that Garlic is not good for us. Irish Potatoes are difficult for our tummies to digest. Chunks of potatoes just tend to lay there until we pookie them up. No one likes that. Mashed Irish potatoes sometimes form a glob in our tummies. Best to avoid "white" potatoes.... Sweet Potatoes are yummy though. My mom makes dehydrated Sweet Potato Chips for me. I love 'em.

See, I told you I had important stuff for you. Shame on that nasty Grinch for keeping me Blacked out like that. He truly is... a Mean One.

11 comments:

Mango said...

That is most important information for sure. I made sure momma read every word. Thanks, little pal.

Slobbers,
Mango

Tank said...

Good info Frankie. I think one could make the argument that NO people food at all is the best way to go... sorry doggies, but it does make sense.

Frankie Furter said...

Yes, I know that I shouldn't have two legger foods...BUTT my mom surely does cook up some good stuff sometimes. It is very much hard for me to resist.

Tank said...

I'm sure your mom makes you stuff that's safe for you to eat... problem is there are lots of stupid humans who don't have a clue that there are foods that are toxic to animals.

I'm glad you enjoyed the "opera" Frankie.

Do you think I smell bad? My peeps keep saying I smell like a sewer.

Lorenza said...

Hi, Frankie!
Sure it is important all our friends know about that!
My grandpa used to give me one or two raisins from time to time until my mom saw him! Oh, boy! She was mad! My poor grandpa did not know they are poisonus!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Frankie Furter said...

Tank, N O I do N O T think you smell bad. That is soooo silly. Just because you are a wonderful Author and Actor... does NOT mean that you would be foolish enough to "step" into anything...uh umh stinky. "THEY" are probably just Jealous of your super successful furst OPRAH.

Lorenza, I hope your mom wasn't too hard on your grandpa. Heck for years tons of people allowed us to have grapes and raisins. Now suddenly... poof they are bad for us. I suppose next year THEY (whoever "they" are) will decide that grapes and raisins are the perfect food for us.
Butt... for now I think it is best to avoid them.

sadermaxx said...

Hi Frankie!

We knew about the raisins and cocoa and stuff, but didn't know about the potatoes, thanks for that one.

Sadie Loves the dehydrated sweet potatoes too.

Khyra The Siberian Husky And Sometimes Her Mom said...

It is khwite skhary how few raisins/grapes it khan take -

Tank woo fur this PSA!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

detroit dog said...

Hi Frankie, there are very few dogs that can handle these foods -- in varying "doses."

Chocolate, onion, grapes and raisins are for sure dangerous, as are avocado pits.

Let's keep everyone healthy!

Sam said...

Thanks for the info, Frankie. It always scares me when people give dogs people food that they are not sure is safe or not. People will take some pretty big risks for some reason.

BRUTUS said...

Thanks for posting this important info! We have learned through our blogging buddies that xylitol (used to flavor sugar-free gum) and also avocados are also very dangerous for doggies! Always is good to share what you learn!

Snorts-
Brutus the Frenchie